Are you thinking of living in Purchase, NY? Purchase, NY is a subsection of the Town/Village Harrison. It is located in Westchester County which is a suburb of New York City. It has approximately 6,500 residents. Most of the residents work within Westchester County and approximately 19% commute to New York. Most of the households are dual income households with only 38.4% stay at home moms. 43.9% of the population are children under 19 years old. It is an affluent town with median income of $193,125.
Purchase, NY: Household Data
- Population approximately 6,500
- Families-85.8% family households with average family size of 3.25
- Kids-43.9% of population under 19 years old
- Babies, Toddlers and Preschoolers- 1.7% under 5 years old
- Median Age 20.5 years old
- White 72.6%, Hispanic 12.1%, Asian 6.0%, African American 13.1%
Purchase, NY: Employment
- 38.4% Stay at Home Moms vs. 61.6% Working Moms *
- Work in Westchester County 77.1%, Work in NY (outside Westchester County) 19%, Work outside NY state 3.9%
- $193,125 Median Household Income
- 30.9% Service Occupations
Purchase, NY: Schools and Buses
Purchase is located in the Town/Village of Harrison and is part of the Harrison Central School District. Residents attend Purchase Elementary School (K-5th grade), Louis M. Klein Middle School and Harrison High School.
School bus transportation is available for all Harrison Central school district. Elementary school students who live more than 0.5 mile and Middle School/High School students who live more than 1 mile are eligible for school bus transportation.
Transportation to private schools are provided to Elementary school students who live more than 1/2 mile and Middle School/High School students who live more than 1 mile from their school up to 15 miles. Applications for private school transportation must be received by April 1st.
Purchase, NY: Housing
Purchase real estate is a combination of big mansions (over 5 bedrooms, 6000+ square feet homes) and medium size houses. The housing stock is young, which is uncommon in Westchester County where most housing stock are old, with 45% of homes built after 1999.
- 52.3 own 2 cars, 39.2% own 3 or more cars
- 84.9% owner occupied housing and 15.1% renter occupied housing
- 45% of homes built after 1999
Purchase, NY: Metro North Train Commute to NYC
Purchase does not have a train station. The Harrison train station is 17 minutes away and White Plains station is 14 minutes away. White Plains trains come very frequently, during peak hours there are as many as 10 trains per hour or a train every 10 minutes which means you will not have to wait at the platform for long to catch a train. While during peak hours, Harrison trains come 4-5 trains per hour or a train every 15-20 minutes.
- Harrison to Grand Central at 38 minutes
- White Plains to Grand Central at 36 minutes
Purchase, NY: Train Station Parking
Harrison train station parking permit is available only to Town/Village of Harrison residents. There is a waitlist of approximately 2 years for the parking permit. There are daily parking spaces available. If you are parking in the southbound side, you will have to go to the Clerk’s office and purchase a daily pass for $3.00. Only residents can purchase daily passes. If you are parking in the northbound side there are meter parking available at $4.75 for 16 hours or $7.50 for 24 hours.
Purchase, NY: Interviews
Purchase, NY: Taxes
*Population 20-64 years old, female with children under 18 Years old
Source: 2016 American Community Survey and 2010 Census