peonies

Are Peonies Toxic to Pets?

Do you have pets? Are you wondering if your peony is toxic to your dog? Of if your peony is toxic to your cat? Peonies are beautiful flowering shrubs. They are perennials that flower year after year with little to no effort from the gardener. Peonies can live for decades. If you just moved into a new house and inherited a beautiful perennial garden with peonies, it’s smart of you to check to see if the plants in your garden are toxic to your pets.

are peonies toxic to pets
Are Peonies toxic to pets?

Are Peonies Toxic to Dogs?

Peonies are toxic to dogs. Peony contains the toxin paeonol. Paeonol in peonies will harm your dog and cause gastrointestinal issues. If your dog is vomiting and experiencing diarrhea, that may be a sign that your dog has ingested paeonol. Also watch out for depression and lethargy, which may be a result of peony poisoning.

Are Peonies Toxic to Cats?

Peonies are toxic to cats. Peony contains the toxin paeonol that is toxic to your cat. If ingested, it will cause your cat to vomit and have diarrhea. It can also cause depression and lethargy.

Are Peonies Toxic to Horses?

Peonies are toxic to horses. Peony contains the toxin paeonol. Although concentrated in the bark of peonies, it is toxic to horses. It will cause your horse to vomit and have diarrhea. Paeonol can also cause depression.

What to Do if Your Pet Has Ingested Peony?

If your pet is experiencing gastrointestinal symptoms from peonies, call your local veterinarian immediately. The severity will depend on how much of the peony has been ingested, what part of the peony has been ingested, and the size of your dog, cat, or horse. It’s best to take your pet to be seen by your vet immediately.

How to Keep Pets Away from Peonies?

The best way to keep your dogs, cats and horses away from peonies is to create a barrier such as a garden fence.

Are Peonies Toxic to Humans?

Peonies are toxic to humans. The toxin paeonol in peonies can cause vomiting, nausea, and abdominal pain in humans. Teach your kids not to eat peony flowers and leaves in your garden. Tell them peonies can make them sick. If they are too young to understand, keep your kids away from your peonies using barriers such as garden fences.

What to Do if Your Kids Have Ingested Peony?

If your kids are experiencing symptoms and you suspect they have ingested parts of the peony plant, call poison control immediately. You should also call your doctor right away.

You May Also Be Interested in Peony Guides:

Lazy Gardener’s Guide: How to Grow Peonies

How to Care for Peonies in the Spring (6 Things to Do)

About Suburbs 101

Suburbs 101 is an insider’s guide to suburban Living. Get the inside scoop on what it’s really like to live in the suburbs through our interviews with local suburbanites and features on Food, Fashion, Home, Garden, Travel, Pets and Local Events. Be sure to Follow Us on Instagram, Like Us on Facebook and subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter.

10 Highest Paying Jobs in New Jersey Beginner’s Guide: How to Care for Your Kalanchoe 8 Things to Do In Stowe, Vermont with Kids Best Restaurants and Shops on Arthur Avenue (Bronx, NY) Wealthiest Towns in Westchester County
X