What is the Best Metro-North station for Purchase residents?
Since Purchase, NY does not have a Metro-North train station, Purchase residents will have to drive to nearby train stations to catch the train. Fortunately, for Purchase residents, they can catch the train at nearby Harrison Metro North Train station or White Plains Metro North train station.
Metro-North Stations for Purchase Residents
The Harrison Metro-North train station is 17 minutes away from Purchase and the White Plains Metro-North train station is 14 minutes away from Purchase.
You should look at 3 factors when you are trying to decide between the White Plains Metro North station or the Harrison Metro North station, 1.) find out how long it takes to commute to New York City, 2.) check the train frequency to NYC and 3.) find out the availability of parking at the train stations.
How Long is the Metro-North train ride to New York City?
The Metro-North train ride from Harrison to New York’s Grand Central Terminal is approximately 40-50 minutes. While the Metro-North train ride from White Plains to Grand Central is approximately 38-42 minutes.
How Frequent are the trains?
At the White Plains Metro North station, trains come very frequently, during peak hours there are as many as 10 trains per hour or a train every 10 minutes which means you will not have to wait at the platform for long to catch a train. Compare this to Harrison where during peak hours, trains come 4-5 trains per hour or a train every 15-20 minutes.
Parking at Metro-North Train Stations
- Harrison Metro-North Train station parking
- Parking permits are only available to Town/Village of Harrison residents. There is a waitlist of approximately 2 years for the parking permit.
- There are daily parking spaces available. If you are parking on the southbound side, you will have to go to the Clerk’s office and purchase a daily pass for $3.00. Only residents can purchase daily passes. If you are parking on the northbound side there is meter parking available at $4.75 for 16 hours or $7.50 for 24 hours.
- White Plains Metro-North Train station parking
- The parking lot at the White Plains train station is only open to White Plains residents so that is not an option for Purchase residents.
- The Lexington-Grove East West Parking Garage (the lot at Galleria at White Plains mall) is located a few blocks from the train station and has some open spots. This lot is open to both residents and non-residents of White Plains. Please call 914-422-1391 for more information.
What is the Best Metro North Station for Purchase Residents?
So what is the best metro-north train station for Purchase residents? Compared to Harrison, commute times from White Plains to NYC is definitely faster and White Plains beat Harrison in train frequency. There is also a higher chance of securing a parking spot at White Plains then at Harrison. Looking at commute times, train frequency and parking, White Plains seems like the better choice for Purchase residents. However, it really depends on the exact location of your house, you should compute your door to door commute. You should also test out the commute from both stations to see which one you like better.
You may also like: How long are the waitlists for Metro-North train station parking in Westchester County, NY?
You may also be interested in:
Metro-North Train Stations with the Most Trains to NYC
Thinking of Living in Westchester, NY
About Suburbs 101
Suburbs 101 is an online lifestyle guide for the New York Suburbs of Westchester County, Long Island, Fairfield County and Northern New Jersey. Get the inside scoop on what it’s really like to live in the New York suburbs through our interviews with local suburbanites and features on Food, Fashion, Home, Travel, and Local Events. Be sure to Follow Us on Instagram, Like Us on Facebook and subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter.