Are you thinking of living in Stamford, CT? Stamford, CT is located in Fairfield County, a suburb of New York City with approximately 128,851 people. 25% of residents commute to New York for work. Like most NYC suburbs, a majority of households are family households with approximately 27.6% of the population under 18 years old. Median Income of $73,781 is lower than surrounding towns. Below you will find useful information on living in Stamford, CT.
Household Stats for Stamford, CT
- Population of approximately 128,851
- Families-% family households with an average family size of
- Kids-33.3% of the population under 18 years old
- Babies, Toddlers and Preschoolers- 5.2% under 5 years old
- Median Age 37 years old
- White 62.4%, Asian 8.6%, African American 14.6%
Employment Stats for Stamford, CT
- 37.7% Stay at Home Moms vs. 62.3% Working Moms *
- Work in Fairfield County 72.4%, Work outside CT 25%
- $73,781 Median Household Income
- 26.5% Education Services and Healthcare
Housing Stats for Stamford, CT
- 37.6% own 2 cars, 20.9% own 3 or more cars
- 66.6% owner-occupied housing and 33.4% rentals
Schools in Stamford, CT
Stamford Public School has 13 elementary schools, 5 middle schools and 3 High Schools. The best way to find out which school you are districted to is to use the School Look Up.
Elementary Schools: Davenport Ridge Elementary School, Hart Magnet Elementary School, Julia A. Stark Elementary School, KT Murphy Elementary School, Newfield Elementary School, Northeast Elementary School, Rogers International School, Roxbury Elementary School, Springdale Elementary School, Stillmeadow Elementary School, Strawberry Hill Elementary School, Toquam Magnet and Westover Magnet
Middle Schools: Cloonan Middle School, Dolan Elementary School, Rippowam Elementary School, Scofield Magnet and Turn of River Elementary School
High Schools: AITE, Stamford High School and Westhill High School
School Bus Transportation in Stamford, CT
Bus transportation is provided for in-district students who meet the following criteria:
- Elementary students living 1 mile or more from school
- Middle school students living more than 1 1/2 miles from school
- High school students living more than 2 miles from school
- Any student with an identified physical or mental disability requiring specialized transportation
Metro-North Train Commute to NYC from Stamford, CT
Stamford residents have the option to use 3 stations- Stamford, Springdale and Glenbrook. Springdale and Glenbrook stations are part of the New Canaan branch and depending on which train you take, you may have to transfer at the Stamford station.
- Stamford to Grand Central is approximately 53 minutes to 1 hour and 6 minutes
- Springdale to Grand Central is approximately 1 hour to 1 hour 24 minutes
- Glenbrook to Grand Central is approximately 57 minutes to 1 hour 14 minutes minutes
Metro-North Train Station Parking in Stamford, CT
Stamford Metro-North Station: You have a few options for monthly permit parking at the Stamford Metro-North Train station. Republic garage which is right at the station has a waitlist of 8 months. The fee is $70 per month for parking. You can reach Republic Garage at 203-327-7998. In order to add your name to the waitlist, you need to apply in person. Parking permits at Republic Garage are available to both residents and non-residents. Another option is to park at the Harbor Point Gateway Garage which is 5 minutes away and has no waitlist but at twice the price ($145 per month vs. $70 per month). You can sign up online for a garage space. A third option is the Metro Center parking lot which is across the street and has a waitlist as well. You can call Metro Center at 203-353-5346.
Daily Parking at Stamford Metro-North Station: Daily parking is available right at the Stamford train station (Republic garage) for $8 per day (16 hours). It usually gets crowded by 9am but you can usually get a spot at the rooftop.
You may also be interested in: How long are the Waitlists for Metro-North Train station parking in Fairfield County, Connecticut?
Interviews with Stamford Residents
Stamford, CT Taxes
*Population 20-64 years old, female with children under 18 Years old
Source: 2017 American Community Survey
You may also be interested in:
About Suburbs 101
Suburbs 101 is an online lifestyle guide for the New York Suburbs of Westchester County, Long Island, Fairfield County and Northern New Jersey. Get the inside scoop on what it’s really like to live in the New York suburbs through our interviews with local suburbanites and features on Food, Fashion, Home, Travel, and Local Events. Be sure to Follow Us on Instagram, Like Us on Facebook and subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter.